Welcome to Meridian Yacht Owners!

Welcome to the worlds largest Meridian Yacht Owners Forum

MYO is a boating forum for Meridian Yacht owners to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership.

Register today... it's free!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the new forum! Please take a moment to login and get to know our new digs!
Dismiss Notice
The mobile view issues should now be resolved!

We're Cruising The Barbie Girl Boat From Miami Florida to The Virgin Islands Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Boating & Cruising Lifestyle' started by Barbie, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbie

Barbie Banned

This will be the biggest boat trip we've ever taken!

When we first bought Barbie Girl 4 years ago in September 2008 we felt real brave and courageous driving her down the Intracoastal Waterway from New Jersey to Miami.

Then 2 years later we felt adventurous when we cruised her 910 miles cutting across the state of Florida through Lake Okeechobee and to the Gulf of Mexico and then back again.

But this next adventure is about 1,400 miles from Miami to the Virgin Islands in plenty of blue water, and for some reason we keep having tons of people trying to scare us from taking this trip telling us that we'll be going through water depths over 8,000 feet while 150 miles from land and and telling us horror stories about Mona's Passage that we must cross. I have to admit that it is all a little spooky, but we plan to leave in the morning.

Knowing that things always change, THIS is our tentative float plan:

This is based on cruising 20 mph burning 30 gph.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]From - To[/TD]
    [TD]Miles[/TD]
    [TD]Hours[/TD]
    [TD]Gals[/TD]
    [TD]Comments[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Miami - Chubb Cay Bahamas[/TD]
    [TD]161[/TD]
    [TD]8.1[/TD]
    [TD]242[/TD]
    [TD]alternative--North Bimini 80 nm, then N Bimini-Nassau 140 nm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Nassau[/TD]
    [TD]46[/TD]
    [TD]2.3[/TD]
    [TD]69[/TD]
    [TD]Nassau Harbour Club Marina[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Staniel Cay, Exuma[/TD]
    [TD]92[/TD]
    [TD]4.6[/TD]
    [TD]138[/TD]
    [TD]Staniel Cay Yacht Club[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Clarence Town, Long Island[/TD]
    [TD]132[/TD]
    [TD]6.6[/TD]
    [TD]199[/TD]
    [TD]Flying Fish marina[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands[/TD]
    [TD]213[/TD]
    [TD]10.6[/TD]
    [TD]319[/TD]
    [TD]South Side Basin marina[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cofresi/Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic[/TD]
    [TD]196[/TD]
    [TD]9.8[/TD]
    [TD]293[/TD]
    [TD]Ocean World marina[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Boqueron, Puerto Rico[/TD]
    [TD]86[/TD]
    [TD]4.3[/TD]
    [TD]129[/TD]
    [TD]Club Nautico[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Crown Bay, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands[/TD]
    [TD]167[/TD]
    [TD]8.3[/TD]
    [TD]250[/TD]
    [TD]Crown Bay marina[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

And for anyone that is interested in following us on the satellite maps as we cruise down you can go to: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0l8QgGFPF13dC8aSZck3lSLQN3pcSPWuo

Follow the simple instructions on that page and you can see exactly where we are in real time. To me giving this link to all my Meridian friends is an even bigger risk than Mona's passage, because I don't want to die from embarrassment if you see me running aground on a sandbar or reef or something, lol. We don't plan to cruise at 20 mph at all times so don't be concerned if you see us going trawler speed at 7-8 mph at times.

Wish us luck!!!

starmoon likes this.
  2. Boy N Sea

Boy N Sea Admiral

Sounds like a FANTASTIC trip, wish I was going with you :) looking forward to your stories and pictures.... Safe travels.

3. Barbie

Barbie Banned

P.S.

We are bringing about 90 gallons of diesel in containers stowed in the engine room in the walkway between the two engines.

4. tkgarcia

tkgarcia First Mate

Outstanding! Staniel Cay is our furthest south. BTW, dont expect electricity between 6 and 11pm at Staniel. You will find you may need to run your generator, even in the marinas, once you get into the southern Bahamas. You may want to calculate that in your fuel usage.

Tom

5. Barbie

Barbie Banned

Thanks Tony!

And thanks for the tip Tom. We don't usually stay in marinas anyway... those were mostly places where we plan to fuel up, but we are more of the anchor out and run the genny type of people with over 5,400 hours on our genny when my Captain changed the oil yesterday! :)

6. shelbri

shelbri Staff Member

Holy Crap. That sounds like an awesome trip. We did a bare boat charter in the BVI years ago and loved it. Bitter End Yacht Club is wonderful. Sandy Cay is a desserted island with sand so soft you sink in 4 inches.

Have a great trip and keep us posted. Wish I was joining too.

7. folieadeux

folieadeux Admiral

Vessel Details:
    2006-391 Meridian with Cummins 380QSB
    Barbie- that should be a great trip and a wonderful way to start a new part of your life in VI. Travel safely and enjoy the ride !!!

8. goblehipcom

goblehipcom Admiral

Wow, sounds like an amazing trip! Keep us posted! Also, did I miss a post regarding why water was getting into your bilge? I was curious to know what it was.
    -Brian

9. Barbie

Barbie Banned

Brian,

We think we got the water in the bilge figured out... we HOPE so! lol.... I updated that posting to explain everything. And then I also created a new topic for the speed rails and tunnel hooks we installed too since people were talking about that and wondering if they would work... in a word, YES they do! Details are in that posting. :)

10. rbmitchell

rbmitchell Admiral

The water depth doesn't matter. It doesn't enter the equation since you're only supposed to use the top four feet anyway.

Can you fuel up in the Bahamas without "entering" and giving up the $300 entry fee or what ever it is now?

11. cdudek

cdudek First Mate

Isn't it the start of hurricane season in that part of the world?

12. max1908

max1908

Smooth seas... Jealous is not the word.... Have a great safe trip!!!!!

13. Cruz

Cruz Staff Member

Looking forward to following your adventure! Stepping beyond ourselves is what life should be about - which is why I believe many of us love the cruising lifestyle.

I'm curious about your time calculations... you indicate you'll be travelling 20 mph but it appears your distances are listed in nautical miles. If I have that right then your trip to Chub Cay will really be closer to 9 1/4 hours.

Have a spectacularly safe and festive voyage!!

:cool:

14. circaburns

circaburns Admiral

Just saw this post and logged onto your GPS sight. Have a great trip Barbie, we are all rooting for you both.

15. doranged

doranged Admiral

Have a great trip. 5400 hrs on the genny! Wow. Heading down to the keys in early Nov . Would love to hear your posts on the various passages. May head over in Jan. Smooth seas and fair winds!

16. Cruz

Cruz Staff Member

It looks like the party has officially arrived in Nassau. It appears they arrived at around 8pm yesterday after around 12 hours on the water. I can only imagine the arrival celebration!

17. Penley

Penley Captain

Barbie, Have a safe and fantastic trip! We go to BVI every year for a sailing trip it is a wonderful part of the world. The Spanish virgins are fantastic as well. Enjoy the trip look forward to following the journey.

Bruce

18. mymyst

mymyst First Mate

i assume you are on your way by now, Barbie! Sail Easy! Curious to know what power setting you and the Captain plan for when calculating your 20mph and 30 gal./hr. burn...and what is your total usuable fuel you have calculated for your run down....

19. Barbie

Barbie Banned

Hello from Staniel Cay!!!

First I'll answer some questions, then share what's going on. :)

I don't know the "real" answer to that but I understand that if you arrive at night then you can anchor and wait til morning to check in as long as you fly your yellow quarantine flag. And when you do check in, then while the captain goes to check in, everyone must stay on the boat. So does that mean if the captain also stays on the boat that he doesn't really have to check in and fork over $300 for just passing through? I don't know the truly legal answers to that but it if you don't step off the boat then it sure gives you some good arguments if you get caught, lol...

No, Hurricane season is officially from June through November but really pretty much ends by mid October.

Thank you!!! Words can't describe how beautiful today was cruising so effortlessly!

You may be right, but I hope I didn't screw that up in my posting. I found that itinerary online in a cruisers forum and converted it from knots to miles and I thought I did the math correctly. But we never did stop at Chub Cay.

Thank you baby! So far, so good!!! ;)

Yep you're right! Arrived right on schedule without a hitch. Our boat is performing perfectly even though we overloaded it by a couple thousand pounds!!! So if you're watching the satellite tracking system, you'll see we were traveling much slower early in our trip at 17 or 18 mph while burning 32 gph because we are just too darn heavy with all the extra stuff we brought... ugh... But after a couple hours we burned off enough fuel and the wind and current changed and we finally got up to our 20 mph and 30 gph we had planned for. But with all the extra weight, we will never get the 22-23 mph at 30 gph that we got last week right after installing the speed rails but before we over loaded the boat for this trip.

2600 rpms gets us 20 mph at 30 gph. With the weight weighing down the back of our boat, we cannot access the last 15 gallons in each tank, so our 350 tanks really only give us 320, so you can imagine how we felt arriving and buying 305 gallons today!

We noticed something about the tracking system's webpage... The webpage only displays the last 50 transmissions on each page. Which is the last 500 minutes we've been traveling, which is the last 8 hours and 20 minutes. It holds an entire week of transmissions, but only shows you 50 of them on each page, so if you go to the bottom left corner of the screen you can go back to see where we were the previous 8 hours by going to page 2 and 3 and 4 and so on. I share that so you don't think that you're missing data.

Yesterday was a super long day of traveling as you saw on a straight shot from Miami to Nassau. It felt super weird passing Bimini where we usually go and passing Chubb Cay and other main islands people visit. But we made it to 185 miles to Nassau 305 gallons of diesel at $5.50 per gallon later. (don't do the math or it will make you sick)

Today the water was so calm and so flat we couldn't believe it so to conserve fuel we traveled all day at 8 mph as we were in the salon relaxing in the air conditioning with the boat on auto pilot as we'd look out the windshield every few minutes. I know some one in here will want to tell me that's not safe, lol... But we only saw 2 boats all day and they were many miles in the distance. The water was so calm that it felt like we were at anchor!

We came in to an anchorage at Staniel Cay tonight after 85 miles and only 42 gallons, (traveling slow pays off) later.

All is going well, the boat is running great, except for the starboard alternator is acting a little funky and wants to overcharge the batteries, but we're able to disconnect it easily with a switch so it's no problem.

Tomorrow Sunday morning we plan to go to George Town about 50 miles from here. We can go slow and get there in 25 gallons, or we can go fast and get there in 85 gallons... I think we'll go slow, lol...

We will try to update again if we get internet access.

Thanks for watching and tracking us!

20. circaburns

circaburns Admiral

Nice report Barbie. God speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.