Welcome to Meridian Yacht Owners!

Welcome to the worlds largest Meridian Yacht Owners Forum

MYO is a boating forum for Meridian Yacht owners to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership.

Register today... it's free!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the new forum! Please take a moment to login and get to know our new digs!
Dismiss Notice
The mobile view issues should now be resolved!

New and Looking at a 411

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SID297, Jan 10, 2017.

1. SID297

SID297 Captain

Greetings Everyone,

The wife and I will be traveling tomorrow to take a look at a 411 we have under contract. This particular boat ticked every box we had except one (I wanted a larger fridge) and looks to be in superb condition. I've talked to Capt. Kieth about helping us get her home in the Spring if all goes as planned. I suppose my only question would be are there any weak spots or trouble areas I should look for during my time on the boat? It's in heated storage, so I should be able to get a good look at the bottom.

-SID

2. Tozz

Tozz First Mate

Welcome! 411 is a great vessel and there have been several threads regarding the 411 and what some of us have experienced with them worthy of a quick search. Most recently these threads:

You must be a registered member to see links

The high level summary of what most people encounter on the 411 are with the thrusters, some bulging on the fresh water tank if it's been filled too quickly in the past, and normal wear and tear on systems like the reverse cycle units. Some 411's around 06-07 had bad couplers between the engines and transmissions as well according to various sources. I had some leaks from the bridge down behind the TV cabinet as well but nothing big. Depending on the age you might want to inspect the condition of the shaft seals, bellows etc... the water pumps (all raw and fresh water systems in general), hoses/clamps etc.

What year is it and what engines?

Good luck!
    Conundrum

3. SID297

SID297 Captain

Thanks for the links.

She's an 06 with 380 QSBs. I've read about the water tank issues here. I'd like to ditch that plastic tank at some point for a custom SS one. The particular 411 we're looking at has a water maker and we intend to spend a lot of time on the hook in the Caribbean.

4. jeffspayne

jeffspayne First Mate

Be sure to check for fiberglass blisters on the bottom of the hull. I I haven't had problems (knock on wood) but a friend with a 411 had to get his fiberglass redone. I haven't needed to do much major to my 04 411 but I did replace the drippless bearings. Enjoy and welcome the family (hopefully)!

5. SID297

SID297 Captain

The good thing is that she's on the hard in heated storage, so I should be able to go over the bottom really well. I was thinking of redoing the shaft seals before relaunching her in the Spring.

6. SID297

SID297 Captain

Got to look over the boat today and was quite pleased. Have a new question though. Is there a provision to start the engines from inside the engine room?

7. shelbri

shelbri Staff Member

I cannot start the engines from the engine room, which would be quite helpful during winterization. I can start the generator from the engine room.

8. SID297

SID297 Captain

Yeah, I didn't think I had overlooked that.

Have any of you guys with 380 QSBs had to repitch your props when the boat starts gaining some weight?

9. Bill Livezey

Bill Livezey First Mate

We have about 2000 hours on our 2006 411. Love the boat, no major problems, not even the tranny. I did replace the thruster controls with joy sticks to get rid of the troublesome "boat shaped switch", I did buy a raw water pump with a grease fitting from "tony" to eliminate the water drip on the engine motor mount, but most of my problems have been "self inflicted", i.e. hitting hard bottom with props, bending rudders, etc. These things do happen.

10. SID297

SID297 Captain

Tony's pumps are certainly on my to-do list. I really like that the QSBs moved the raw water pump drive out of the gear set and onto a belt. Eliminates a very costly potential failure mode.

11. Oso111

Oso111 Scurvy Dog

Sid do you know where the 12v ground buss is on you 411. Can't seam to locate it heh industry the pannel

12. SID297

SID297 Captain

Nope, it's not quite my boat yet and I'm about a thousand miles away from it right now.

13. Oso111

Oso111 Scurvy Dog

Thanks I got mine about six months ago and loved it was adding satellite TV antenna and can't find the ground bus

14. SID297

SID297 Captain

Try posting a thread in this forum:

I'm sure a 411 owner will come along and help out.