Welcome to Meridian Yacht Owners!

Welcome to the worlds largest Meridian Yacht Owners Forum

MYO is a boating forum for Meridian Yacht owners to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership.

Register today... it's free!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the new forum! Please take a moment to login and get to know our new digs!
Dismiss Notice
The mobile view issues should now be resolved!

Installation of Cablemaster System

Discussion in 'General Repairs & Maintenance' started by Madrona, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Madrona

Madrona First Mate

We are planning to install the Glendenning Power cord system in our 411. Has anyone done this before? It appears there is enough space to store a 50', 50-amp cord with the power reel system in the lazarette. The project will take a little engineering but when it's done I can extend the cord to the length that is necessary easily. Appreciate thoughts and suggestions. thks

2. shelbri

shelbri Staff Member

I didn't do the install but our boat has the glendenning unit in the port side lazarrette. We have a small barrel that the cord falls into when wrapped up. Excellent system. I am sure it is worth the effort to install as the anaconda 50A cord is heavy and pain to deal with manually.

3. BreakAway

BreakAway Admiral

A very knowledgeable guy told us to ditch the 50 amp cord except over the winter and we did. We use the boat as an office over the winter and need the 50, but in the spring and summer we rarely need a/c and we can run the a/c and just not run the microwave at the same time. So for us a little power management keeps that anaconda down below. Plus 50 amps is a major pain in many Canadian marinas.

4. heron381

heron381 Admiral

We draw less power than the 411 but it is close, gave my 50 amp cord to my friend who has a 50 ft. boat with 4 AC's, he really needs it. With 1 AC off and the hot water heater off when we cook,, we live a normal life on the boat, tripped the circuit breaker at the dock once last year. Didn't mind getting up to reset it, easier than dragging that monster cord out at every visited marina. IMHO
    Add and inexpensive 50-30amp pigtail adapter to your newly purchase light weight 30 amp cord and you are good to go. ;)

5. folieadeux

folieadeux Admiral

Vessel Details:
    2006-391 Meridian with Cummins 380QSB
    Not to steal this thread....but I just sold my Regal EC when I bought the 391 Meridian and I have lots of 30AMP cords leftover from the Regal, I had planned to sell them but if I read this thread correctly, I can use the 30AMP cords with the 50AMP adapter....is that correct???

6. rbatt2

rbatt2 Staff Member

Vessel Details:
    Current: 2013 441SB w/480 Zeus
    Former: 2006 408MY w/ Cummins 370B; 2005 368MY w/8.1HO
    Neal - yes, you are correct. You can use a 50A to 30A pigtail and a single 30A cordset or get a 50A to 30A "Y" adapter and use two 30A cordsets. Using one 30A cord obviously brings 30 AMPS of power to the boat. Using two 30A cords will give you 60 AMPS of power. That is usually sufficient but is still less than using the 50A cordset that came with the boat which delivers 50 AMPS to each side of your panel for a total of 100 AMPS.

7. tic

tic Admiral

We didn't have 50 amp service at our slip last fall for our 368 so we used a Y connector for two thirties at the power box.. I think we tripped the breaker at the box ONCE when the microwave/air conditioning (all three units) and various other things were running at the same time. Once we figured out what we could and could not run, we had no problems and very little inconvenience.. This summer we will have 50 amp service in a longer slip. But I agree the anaconda is a royal PITA.

8. jimfilling

jimfilling First Mate

I split our 50 amp cord into two 25' sections. Much lighter and stores in the box on the swim platform. ( Store the second 25' under the aft bed) I have not had to pull out the second 25 feet in two years of running on the Chesapeake Bay. 368 won't take a cablemaster which is what I wanted so this was the second best solution. I keep one 50 amp cord permanently at our home slip and pull out a "travel" 50 amp whenever we visit another marina. Works Great...much to my surprise. Jim

9. folieadeux

folieadeux Admiral

Vessel Details:
    2006-391 Meridian with Cummins 380QSB
    Ray, I just need the pigtail adapters on both ends of the 30 AMP cord, right?

10. BreakAway

BreakAway Admiral

just fyi sometimes I have found some real good buys on ebay for connectors etc but be carefull to get the right ones

11. Ocean Spray II

Ocean Spray II Banned

If you live in a warm climate (Florida) where its always HOT out, you will want to use your 50 amp cord. I have burned out 2 50amp converter cords (50 to 2 30) because the a/c will pull too much and burn out the y adapter. Mine lasted about 8 months before they burned out, then I had the marina change the box to a 50 amp plug and all was fine. The y adapters are good in a pinch while staying a a marina for the weekend but I would not recommend them for long term use. I learned the hard way!

12. tic

tic Admiral

Good to know Pat.. thanks .. those adapters aren't cheap! I think ours was around 400 bucks

13. rbatt2

rbatt2 Staff Member

Vessel Details:
    Current: 2013 441SB w/480 Zeus
    Former: 2006 408MY w/ Cummins 370B; 2005 368MY w/8.1HO
    What service do you have at the dock - single 50A, single 30A, twin 30A or both 30A and 50A?

14. Joreet

Joreet Admiral

I have 50 amp service & the glendeling cabel master, since I dock bow in I find the big cable to be a pain.
    Solution, I bought an additional 50' ft 50 amp cable & leave it pluged in & streched out on the dock when we come back to the marina I only have to reel out about 10' of cable from the cabelmaster & plug into the end of the 50' cord on the dock.
    A little pricey for the additional cable but it works for me.
    Jordan

15. DSobba

DSobba First Mate

Jeff,

We had the Glendinning installed on our 411 when we purchased it and included the 50amp cord. There is a spot for it on the port side in the lazarette. I would agree that the cord is pretty bulky but not bad with the cablemaster. I would always rather have too much power than wish I would have had more. Kevin over at Breakwater Marina did the install. They were ok, not horrible but not great either. Feel free to give me a call on my cell if you would like to discuss more. The number is 253.232.5781.
    Thanks,
    Danny

16. Boy N Sea

Boy N Sea Admiral

I've only been to two marinas that provided 50 amp 120\240 service that allowed me to plug in directly with my cable (BTW Breakaway, both in Canada none in the US). That said, my boat came with the Glenndinning installed (port side transom) and I love it...I'd hate to handle that 50AMP cable by hand.

Though most marinas in our area and the ones I have visited in the US only offer 30 amp service, occasionaly I can use my reverse y and get 2 - 30 amp circuits which makes having the 50 amp cordset and glenndinning very handy.

I do carry a 30 amp cord set so if there is only one 30 amp outlet available and the outlet is more than a few feet from the swim grid I'll use the 50 to 30 pigtail at the dockside and pay out the lighter weight cordset to the outlet.