Welcome to Meridian Yacht Owners!

Welcome to the worlds largest Meridian Yacht Owners Forum

MYO is a boating forum for Meridian Yacht owners to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership.

Register today... it's free!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the new forum! Please take a moment to login and get to know our new digs!
Dismiss Notice
The mobile view issues should now be resolved!

Head Drain Covers

Discussion in 'The Project Center' started by mhorne27, Jun 20, 2016.

1. mhorne27

mhorne27 First Mate

Has anyone ever had to replace the Head and Shower drain covers? Mine are all pitted and nasty. Would like to replace. Just not sure how to get them off and where to get replacements.

thx

2. ws30878

ws30878

Vessel Details:
    2006 408MY Cummins 6BTA 370
    Mine were the same. Cleaned them with Never Dull and a lot of elbow grease. Same with a lot of the other chrome hardware on the boat.

thank God for cocktails. This boat is wearing me out LOL

3. Jetstream

Jetstream First Mate

Ours are the same. If you find out could you let us know,

Brett

4. John V

John V Admiral

Riviera Dunes Marina, Palmetto/Bradenton FL
    No amount of polish will restore mine. So if you find a source, and how to R & R them, please let us all know.

5. nacejam

nacejam First Mate

On my 2006 391, These overs fit perfectly over the old ones and remain recessed and keeps the hair out of the drain shower:
    OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Shower Stall Drain Protector - Stainless Steel & Silicone

6. viper450

viper450 First Mate

As I was leaving the boat for the weekend I said to myself, one more thing real quick. Decided to pull the shower drain cover off so I could search for a new one during the week. (2003, 411) It was so pitted and corroded it came apart in 2 pieces. I was in a hurry so I didn't have time to dissect part 2 but wanted to share what I have so far. I may have to fabricate the gasket but wont know till I do some additional searching. Stay tuned.

Attached Files:

7. ws30878

ws30878

Vessel Details:
    The gasket is a standard sink drain gasket. I scrubbed mine with a Brillo pad then polished them with never dull and they look like new

8. Capt Pete

Capt Pete Admiral

Mine corroded away so I bought new stainless steel ones from Ace Hardware, sat them in place, they don't quite fit, then using your heel stand on them making them concave instead of convex, then glue them in place with 5200. Been in place for several years now and look as good as factory. They were cheap too!

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Matt

Matt First Mate

I have two replacements left by previous owner. Have not installed them as mine aren't too bad. Also, seems challenging. Seems as if you need to get underneath them and unscrew the base to take it apart. I suspect it's glued in addition. I'll take a look at the box and update with any part numbers, etc. in the next couple weeks.

10. ws30878

ws30878

Vessel Details:
    I cleaned mine with a Brillo pad, the polished them with Never Dull. Big improvement with virtually no work

11. Matt

Matt First Mate

See attached photo of the box for the the drain components both for the shower drain and the drain near the toilet... hope this is helpful.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Indyblackhawk

Indyblackhawk

I cheated and had teak grates made by Goodale Marine (they are a site sponsor). I did the two heads and shower floors done. They came our real nice!! Unfortunately I do not have any photos handy. If anyone is interested, I can take pics next time I am at boat (prob. mid Feb.).

Andy

13. viper450

viper450 First Mate

Since I never posted additional pictures from earlier in this thread as planned, here are 2 more, 1 as it came apart and then the final product.

Attached Files:

14. circaburns

circaburns Admiral

Hi Viper. I wish to replace mine. They look like they are screwed down (the centre rectangle hole in the drain looks like a screwdriver access hole?) but not quite sure if they may be sikaflexed in place. What did you find?

15. circaburns

circaburns Admiral

I purchased two Smith Cooper complete shower drains. But i see they are basically a one piece construction. Has anybody successfully removed and installed new ones. Are they just screwed into the hose pipe and then sika-flex glued in place? I'm a bit loathe to pry one open and then find the install of a new one is impossible (the shower one in particular appears to have no access anywhere to the underneath of the shower (drain in front of toilet may be accessible from the sump pump hatch i'm hoping).

I'm very keen to find that this is doable before ripping things up.

Anyone?

16. Jetstream

Jetstream First Mate

Hi Robert,

I tried to to take a picture of the underside of the drains but have been unable to yet. Ours are reasonably accessible and they definitely have a nut just above where the hose attachment fitting screws on. It appears to be plastic but I'll have another look and confirm that.

It looks to me as though the inch and a half hose attachment fitting has to be unscrewed, then the nut off that same thread, and then you should be able to prize it out of whatever sealant it is in.

Could I ask where you got the drains? All 4 of ours are less then pretty and I'd like to replace them but haven't been able to source any,

Brett

17. circaburns

circaburns Admiral

18. viper450

viper450 First Mate

Sorry for the delayed response. I only replaced the cover not the entire drain and bought it at Ace Hardware/Do it best.

19. Jetstream

Jetstream First Mate

Thanks Robert I got one from your link and may be able to get three more later. Here is a photo of the underside of the drain, hope it helps,

Brett

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Jetstream

Jetstream First Mate

I managed to get one of these drains off eBay. For those who live in the US you can probably get these direct from Beach Trailer Supplies 239-466-8080.

Just replaced the floor drain in the forward head of our 459. Like most boat jobs it takes longer than I thought. They are installed with some type of sealant and the only way I could get it out once I undid the retaining nut was to carefully lever it out under the outer flange. It your putting one of these back in it is also much easier with someone keeping the drain centered on top while you tighten the retaining nut,

Brett