Welcome to Meridian Yacht Owners!

Welcome to the worlds largest Meridian Yacht Owners Forum

MYO is a boating forum for Meridian Yacht owners to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership.

Register today... it's free!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome to the new forum! Please take a moment to login and get to know our new digs!
Dismiss Notice
The mobile view issues should now be resolved!

408 cummins 330 port impeller replacement

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines/Transmissions' started by davidcarter, May 27, 2010.

1. davidcarter

davidcarter Scurvy Dog

Has anybody out there changed their port side cummins 330 impeller? I could use some tips. Is it possible to change it without having to remove all or part of the pump? Accessibility is the problem. The stbd side was no problem.

Thanks
    David

2. Bill Livezey

Bill Livezey First Mate

I am not familiar w/408 but my 411 was hard to get the cover plate off due to access. I took the waste pump off of the wall, that allowed me to get in front of the port engine, somewhat. Be sure to close the sea water valve so you don't start the new impeller dry. After getting the cover off, squirt liquid soap heavy into the impeller, engage starter for 2 seconds or less to get the impeller and housing "slicker than a minnow". It should slide out, easier if you have a bolt to screw into the end of the impeller to pull with.

3. Joreet

Joreet Admiral

It is not difficult to replace these parts, however access in the engine room is some what cramped it woud be a good idea to have a little person on the payroll.
    Jordan

4. rbmitchell

rbmitchell Admiral

A service manager for MarineMax told me, many years ago, the one of the MarineMax group actually had a little person on the payroll in southern FL. Makes sense to me. Access throughout the 408 engine room is very limited.

5. Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher First Mate

David
    I have a 459 but have 380 cummins. I did both of my impellers last year. Yes it was easy to do the starbord and touch do the port. Just take the floor up and start. A small mirror helps and small tools (1/4" drive sockets). Funniest thing I found was a hammer. Could not get the pressure to push the impeller back into place, finally I got in front of the engines, took the hammer head in my right hand and put the end of the handle against the impeller and pulled. The length of the handle let me slide it along the engine to get pressure to push impeller back in. Sounds easy, right, not hardly but it did work for me.

Don't let anybody kid you, there isn't enough room to get anybody in than small area.

Good luck

Pat & Raelene Thrasher

6. Merlin

Merlin Captain

It is possible to replace the impellers on Cummins 330's (5.9BTA) without removing the raw water pump assembly. Access to the cover plate is clear, even though it's a squeeze to manipulate yourself around the port engine. It doesn't help if like me, you are right handed, which adds to the fun when you are compelled to get into the space either feet-first, or take the risk of trying to turn around once you are in there.

First - Turn off the water at the pickup valve - sounds elementary, but often forgotten in the heat of battle!

Once the flat cover plate is removed from the pump, the impeller can be removed with either a impeller puller, or levered out using screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. Be sure not to damage any machined surfaces, or lose the woodruff key from the shaft. Note the rotation direction of the old impeller, so that the new unit can be correctly oriented upon installation. Avoid re-using the gaskets and 'O' ring if possible.

Now, if you plan to remove the raw water pump on the 330B's, that's a whole different exercise!

Good Luck