Login or Register to remove this ad
  • Welcome to MeridianYachtOwners!

We are a boating forum for owners of Meridian Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Meridian or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on MeridianYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Vessel Info
    looking at the 391

Looking at purchasing a 2011 to 2013 391

Hi all,
    I joined here a while back when I was interested in buying a Meridian before the last boat I purchased (2007 Silverton 45C, purchased used in 2011). Looks like the Silverton is sold and am looking to downsize a bit. As much as I like the 441, it is a bit large for my needs, so the 391 looks like a great option for me. Looking at years 2012 to 2014. There are a few on Yacht World I have called about already.

I have a couple of questions to start and I am sure many more to come, but my first question is the diesel boats seem to have two choices in the years I am looking at, Cummins 380QSB and 480QSB. I would prefer more speed, but just not sure (can't find performance numbers) if it is worth it to get the Cummins 480QSB as opposed to the 380 QSB, your thoughts are welcome.

Also,
    I do or try to do, my own work and maintenance on my boats, would the QSB 480 motors (being they are larger) make maintenance rougher ?
    What is the overall consensus between access on both motors as well as access to all the stuff that eventually needs servicing.

Like I said, I have a lot more questions and I appreciate all the help you guys can give.

Regards,
    Walter Valentine

2. # ADS
    MYO Sponsors Advertisement

Walter,
    In addition to your speed preference, I'm of the opinion that from a longevity standpoint (% of power use over time), and resale standpoint, the larger motors are the better choice. In my experience, the floor hatches in the salon help with maintenance access for large jobs. The engine room is still a twin-diesel engine room on a 39' Sedan, so not a ton of room, but the access hatches help with anything you can't get to with normal maintenance access.

If you'd have any interest in a 2015 model I have a friend who might consider parting with his.

Vessel Info
    2006-391 Meridian with Cummins 380QSB
    Walter- I do all of my own maintenance on the 380 engines are there are a few tasks that are a PITA especially on the port engine. I always believe you should buy the largest engines you can afford. My 391 with the 380s will cruise all day at 25 knots with medium load and clean bottom. At that speed fuel consumption is 1 GPM .

A couple of suggestions to make maintenance easy is to install the Seaboard water pumps that are a direct OEM replacement on most Cummins and throw away the Sherwood pumps, they are POS. Also install a sea strainer inline on the genny just past the water pump. Most boat's put more hours on the genny than the engine so the impeller takes more wear. The genny impeller vanes wear and break off so the pieces clog the heat exchanger , a strainer captures the pieces and when you have 3-4 pieces you know it's time to replace the impeller, that's much easier than chasing broken vanes. Engine room is tight but for daily checks the lift up stairs are awesome and the floor panels are helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Neal and Barbara
    Savannah,GA
    " Olive or Twist "
    2006-391 T-380QSB Cummins: Onan 9KW

Vessel Info
    looking at the 391
    Quote Originally Posted by Landmark [Only registered Members can see links, click here to register]
    Walter,
    In addition to your speed preference, I'm of the opinion that from a longevity standpoint (% of power use over time), and resale standpoint, the larger motors are the better choice. In my experience, the floor hatches in the salon help with maintenance access for large jobs. The engine room is still a twin-diesel engine room on a 39' Sedan, so not a ton of room, but the access hatches help with anything you can't get to with normal maintenance access.

If you'd have any interest in a 2015 model I have a friend who might consider parting with his.
    I am interested, please email his contact info.

Thanks
    Walter

Hey Walter,
    Don't see your email anywhere, but happy to pass info along if we can connect.

Vessel Info
    2011 Meridian 391
    Walter, We are considering moving up to a Trawler. I have a 2011 391 with the 480s and integrated engines/thrusters... Great yacht. It is located in Northern Virginia. I haven't officially placed it for sale but would consider offers. My email is [Only registered Members can see links, click here to register]. Let me know if you want to know more.
    Al