Login or Register to remove this ad
  • Welcome to MeridianYachtOwners!

We are a boating forum for owners of Meridian Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Meridian or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on MeridianYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Vessel Info
    Model 341, 2007, Cummins 380 QSB\'s

Electric Motor for Dinghy/Tender

Anyone out there use an electric motor for their dinghy? I'm considering getting a simple inflatable from West Marine or the like and using an electric/battery powered motor for our occasional use....mostly based on storage constraints on our 341 and the "no worries about gasoline fumes" aspect since I'll use the space in front of my Genny as my storage locker for all of the above. Thoughts?

Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current
    Eric
    Key West, FL
    2007, 341, Cummins 380 QSB's

2. # ADS
    MYO Sponsors Advertisement

We went through the same thing with our 34c. I didn't think the torqueedo would Work against tide and wind in the inlet (to cross not to run out the inlet). Then we didnt trust the range. Finally we got a seamax ocean inflatable w/ airfloor, no gas smell in the cabin, a 12 volt inflator and a 6hp yamaha 4 stroke. Put it on a two wheeled dolly against the upper bunk. Gas can outside. Works great has a huge range.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Vessel Info
    2011 Meridian 441SB 480 QSB Zeus Former: 07 341 Sedan Bridge, Mercs
    Quote Originally Posted by ehbroker
    Anyone out there use an electric motor for their dinghy? I'm considering getting a simple inflatable from West Marine or the like and using an electric/battery powered motor for our occasional use....mostly based on storage constraints on our 341 and the "no worries about gasoline fumes" aspect since I'll use the space in front of my Genny as my storage locker for all of the above. Thoughts?
    I use an electric. Minn Kota brand. I have a battery charger incorporated on the boat and it works great. it's not for speed, but gets you there! I have the salt water 55 unit.

Sent from my iPad using Meridian Yacht Owners Forum
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Ken
    Bateau Bleu
    2011 Meridian 441 480 QSB Zeus
    Former:2007 - 341 6.2 Mercs
    Dinghy Mercury 270 - Petit Bateau

Vessel Info
    2007 Meridian 459, 380 Cummins (NZ) 2004 408 370 Cummins (USA)
    What size battery do you use.

sent from my crappy old laptop sitting bare assed in my 408.

Pete
    [img=http://www.meridianyachtowners.com/forum/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=285]

Vessel Info
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Pete
    What size battery do you use.

sent from my crappy old laptop sitting bare assed in my 408.

Pete
    Pete:

I use a standard 12v. It was an extra battery on the boat. The link below is a case I bought for it with a built in breaker etc... And 12v adapter I also duct taped the case so top would come off. Just as double protection. I'm sure it's fine with out tape, but no one wants a battery fall out.

[Only registered Members can see links, click here to register]

Posted via Mobile Device
    Ken
    Bateau Bleu

Vessel Info
    2007 Meridian 459, 380 Cummins (NZ) 2004 408 370 Cummins (USA)
    Thanks Ken, what does it weigh?

Pete
    [img=http://www.meridianyachtowners.com/forum/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=285]

Vessel Info
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Pete
    Thanks Ken, what does it weigh?

Pete
    Shipping weight is 33lbs. Its light. Battery is heavy as you know. That's why I got a nice case with handle. Battery case also has a 12v adaptor which come in handy with my 12v air pump.

Posted via Mobile Device
    Ken
    Bateau Bleu

Vessel Info
    Sold sept 2016, loved The boat 2004 Meridian 411 SB Mercruiser 8.1 HO Gas 4 Zone A/C Hydraulic
    Our friends have the torqeedo and are very pleased with it. It will for sure battle any current that a 6hp can do. The range is around 20 miles they claim which should be enough to get to shore under normal conditions, not emergency of course.
    I have a 3.5 hp and keep motor on dinghy and gas can in long narrow locker in cockpit.
    If I would buy today I would buy torqeedo and spare battery, good combination albeit a little pricey.
    Hans
    Aquadesiac 411 SB 8.1 HO

Vessel Info
    2006 391 Meridian 380hp cummins (up graded)
    reports of new dingy motor power supply indicates the trend may be to propane powered outboards, which makes a lot of sense
    2006 391 Meridian
    380 HP Cummins (upgraded)
    11ft AB RIB
    2009 25 Hp Tohatsu go fast

Vessel Info
    2006 408MY 8.1 HO\'s
    I saw a propane outboard that runs of the 1lb cylinder.
    Kevin
    2006 408MY
    "Lightning Strikes"
    8.1 HO\'s

Vessel Info
    05 Meridian 411 - Cummins 370s 08 Sailfish 2660 - twin 200hp Yamas 08 Boston Whaler 110 Sport 25hp
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja30 [Only registered Members can see links, click here to register]
    I saw a propane outboard that runs of the 1lb cylinder.
    There was an article in PowerandMotoryachts this month about propane outboards. It was interesting. They have a 2.5hp & a 5hp model and will be working on a 10hp shortly.

Follow this link:

And here is the company link:
    Last edited by shelbri; 05-31-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Brian
    2005 Meridian 411 w Cummins 370Bs
    2008 Sailfish 2660 w twin 200 yamaha 4 stroke
    2008 Boston Whaler 110 Sport w Merc 25hp 4 stroke
    Solitude
    Mystic, CT