Login or Register to remove this ad
  • Welcome to MeridianYachtOwners!

We are a boating forum for owners of Meridian Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Meridian or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on MeridianYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meridian 541

Vessel Info

Meridian 541

Ahoy 541 Owners;

Since there are only a few of us with real 541 operating experience I thought it might be useful to set up a means of discussing our experiences, discoveries, suggestions, etc.

I do not know MYO rules regarding setting up a 541 subgroup, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who is interested.,

My Contact Info is:

Ted Bier
    Cell: 516 - 315-7000

Email: [Only registered Members can see links, click here to register]

Snail Mail: 74 Cornwells Beach Road, DSands Point, NY 11050

Boat Name: Folie A Deux

Located at: Brewers Sterling Harbor Marina, Greenport, NY
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

2. # ADS
    MYO Sponsors Advertisement

Vessel Info
    05 Meridian 411 - Cummins 370s 08 Sailfish 2660 - twin 200hp Yamas 08 Boston Whaler 110 Sport 25hp

Re: Meridian 541

I for one (a lowly discontinued 411 owner) would like it if you kept your 541 commentary in the public forum as I'd like to hear about your experiences and such. I'd love it if a 541 was in my future down the road and would find it beneficial reading about the operating experiences of current owners.

BTW - my folks we out at Sterling Harbor (they hail from Brewers - Deep River) and commented to me that they saw your 541 and thought she was beautiful.
    Brian
    2005 Meridian 411 w Cummins 370Bs
    2008 Sailfish 2660 w twin 200 yamaha 4 stroke
    2008 Boston Whaler 110 Sport w Merc 25hp 4 stroke
    Solitude
    Mystic, CT

Vessel Info
    2006-391 Meridian with Cummins 380QSB

I agree with Brian, it is helpful to read and learn about other MYO members and their boats. Especially a new model as beautiful as the 541.
    Neal and Barbara
    Savannah,GA
    " Olive or Twist "
    2006-391 T-380QSB Cummins: Onan 9KW

Vessel Info
    08\' 368 w/ 330 QSB

I don't think there should be a 541 subgroup.. Enough of us lust after this boat that a subgroup would just push us over the edge with envy. I think 541 owners should go into hiding, either that or invite all us other Merdian model owners for a cruise.
    08\'Meridian 368 w/ 330QSB

Vessel Info
    For Sale: 2007 Meridian 391 Twin Cummins 380 QSB5.9 Time Well Wasted

Personally I am very interested in hearing owner experiences of the 541, and hope to own one myself at some point.

Vic
    For Sale: 2007 Meridian 391 Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
    Cummins 380 QSB5.9

Time Well Wasted
    Long Island, NY

2008 Walker Bay Genesis Console RIB 310FTDH
    Honda 20hp

The world only makes sense when you force it to.

Vessel Info

Thank you for all the helpful responses. I have no issue with an open dialog, just thought many questions would be for 541 owners only, but possibly I am the only one interested in talking about 541 experiences.

I have two questions for anyone who might be able to respond:

1. Was advised by the factory to add water to the many batteries at least monthly, but the batteries appear to be sealed. Anyone know what the proper maintenance is for the batteries Meridian uses?

2. The anchor supplied by Meridian has a very long shaft which causes the anchor to swing dangerously as the last of the chain hits the forward roller. Is there a secret to how to safely bring the anchor on board, other than hauling it my hand when the chain has been recovered?

In general our Hull #11 has performed very well, and the factory and Marine Max have been very responsive to new boat issues. We have been to Martha's Vineyard and Hyannis without any serious issues.

If anyone wants a visit at our home port, we are at Brewer's Sterling Harbor in Greenport, NY

Vessel Info
    Current Owner: 2008 Marlow 57 Explorer; Former Owner: 2003 411 SB w/ Cummins 370B (2003 to 2016)

Ted - I know Tom Garcia with hull #1 is on the MYO site frequently. I am sure he will chime in when he gets a free minute.

Tom's boat is just a few slips from mine. If he doesn't answer you directly, the next time I am down and see Tom I will take a quick look and see if I can answer your post directly.

Yacht Delivery by Captain Keith Mackey (100 Ton Master) - Meridian Owner and Sponsor of the Meridian Yacht Owners Forum!
    -----
    2003 Meridian 411 w/370B's

Vessel Info
    580 Meridian Cummins 670\'s

You might think for the amount of money you spent on your boat that everything will work perfectly and the manufacturer will have all the answers to your questions. Meridian is good, if not the best, at solving problems but sometimes you are on your own. That's where the forum comes in handy.

I check my batteries monthly but if there is no way to check your batteries, they installed a different battery at the factory. Make sure that you are checking the house batteries. The engines are sealed batteries.

I changed my anchor out to an Ultra Anchor. It is 42" over all with a 34" shank and weights 77 lbs.

If you think there is a problem with your boat, there is and you will need to make changes or understand clearly that there is not a problem before you will be comfortable with your boat.
    Bruce
    2007 Meridian 580
    670'S
    "Miss Darlin II"
    Cloverdale, CA

Vessel Info
    08\' 368 w/ 330 QSB

On our 368 all batteries are SLA (sealed lead acid) EXCEPT the house bank.. I don't know about the 541 but typically your house batteries will be 6v traditional vented lead acid and will indeed need distilled water added occasionally. Find the location of your house batteries and see if they have removable caps, if they do? you will need to monitor the water levels. Ours came with a neat system that connects all cells and a quick connect tube/squeeze bulb to water all the house batteries at once (four of them on the 368).. Our anchor also comes dangerously close to banging the hull on retrieval. I just go very easy on the up button for the last few feet and guide the anchor with a foot if I have to.

Vessel Info
    2011 541, Hull #1, 600 Zeus

Hi Ted,

Good to hear you are having a great time with your 541. I saw her being built at the factory and she is a beauty.

My batteries, like yours, are sealed. I don't look forward to the day they need to be replaced because our boats' have 16! Might have to take out a second mortgage.

I believe I have the same anchor that you have and yes you have to take it easy bringing in the last 10 feet or so. I have not anchored out often, but when I have, I have raised the anchor using the controls on the bow so I could closely watch the last 10 feet or so just before it breaks the water. Then, I just take it very slow until I have it locked back in its carriage.

Being your boat is so new, you most likely do not need to worry about this but just know that Cummins has made several tweaks to the pod system. You most likely already have those tweaks but just to be safe, you may want to have Meridian/ Marine Max check that your system has all the most recent "campaigns". These include a stronger hydraulic hose system on the pods. The original type of hose used had failures, including ours, due to the high operating pressure. I understand the type of hose used now is similar to what is found on airplanes. In addition, the bolts holding the pod to the hull have been changed to ones with a difference breaking strength. Remember, the pods are designed to break off in the event you strike bottom or another something at such a force that it could endanger the hull.
    Finally, after the initial break in period of the pods, the fluids need to be changed. So, once you have 20 or more hours on the pods, be sure to let Cummins know so they can schedule to change the break in fluids.

Finally, the 541 is an incredible vessel. The design is truly revolutionary. We love going on the new boats when they come into Marine Max next to our marina. We have been on all the Sea Ray's and even the Azimuts and while they are all fancy, none have the wonderful styling of the 541.

Being Hull #!, I would guess we have the most experience with the 541 thus far and I am more than willing to share what we have learned. I have a great relationship with Meridian and I have prepared several "reports" for them on how various components are aging (its the engineer in me). Meridian has been very appreciative for those reports and have made tweaks to the succeeding Hulls to improve the design. In addition, Meridian is even making a trip to our boat in late August to make some of those modifications We are thankful for their effort to customer service.
    Tom & Kim Garcia
    541, Hull #1
    \"Extravaganza\"

Vessel Info
    08\' 368 w/ 330 QSB

Wow, 16 batteries!

Vessel Info

I wouldn't think that the 541 would need that much battery power. The 580 only has twelve and it has two big thrusters and a 3,000 watt inverter. I would like to know what Meridian's reasoning was, if it was for more reserve battery power or to maintain a more stable voltage. The 580's thrusters and control processor are both pretty sensitive to low voltage. If the batteries are not in top condition I will get a "low voltage" alarm from my control processor when I hit the thrusters and the thrusters will not work in tandem. More batteries would solve that problem.
    Bruce
    2007 Meridian 580
    670'S
    "Miss Darlin II"
    Cloverdale, CA

Vessel Info

RE: Meridian 541

Bruce
    I had the same low voltage alarm on my 580 and the local dealer said it is common. The fix is to move the thruster causing the problem to the house batteries. He also suggested adding 4 more batteries so we can make it thru the nite without generator. I also had him install the easy fill system (squeeze bulb) on all vented batteries so now my monthly battery fill is about 5 minutes --most spent looking around to check for problems.

Vessel Info
    08\' 368 w/ 330 QSB

I have an easy fill system for sale since I converted to AGM batteries if anyone is interested

Vessel Info

I haven't had any problem making it through the night on the house batteries. I have the easy fill system. I have been told that you can over-fill the batteries if you pump the bulb too hard. Next spring I am going to change out to sealed batteries. I'll take a look at adding four more batteries but my fully-loaded weight is already 72,000 lbs. I hate to keep adding weight.
    Bruce
    2007 Meridian 580
    670'S
    "Miss Darlin II"
    Cloverdale, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast