Login or Register to remove this ad
  • Welcome to MeridianYachtOwners!

We are a boating forum for owners of Meridian Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Meridian Yacht ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Meridian or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on MeridianYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Vessel Info
    Thanks

408 cummins 330 port impeller replacement

Has anybody out there changed their port side cummins 330 impeller? I could use some tips. Is it possible to change it without having to remove all or part of the pump? Accessibility is the problem. The stbd side was no problem.

Thanks
    David
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 120 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

2. # ADS
    MYO Sponsors Advertisement

Vessel Info
    Meridian 2006 411 Cummins QSB 380
    Thanks

RE: 408 cummins 330 port impeller replacement

I am not familiar w/408 but my 411 was hard to get the cover plate off due to access. I took the waste pump off of the wall, that allowed me to get in front of the port engine, somewhat. Be sure to close the sea water valve so you don't start the new impeller dry. After getting the cover off, squirt liquid soap heavy into the impeller, engage starter for 2 seconds or less to get the impeller and housing "slicker than a minnow". It should slide out, easier if you have a bolt to screw into the end of the impeller to pull with.

Vessel Info
    2003 408 Motoryacht T-Cummins 330's
    Thanks

Re: 408 cummins 330 port impeller replacement

It is not difficult to replace these parts, however access in the engine room is some what cramped it woud be a good idea to have a little person on the payroll.
    Jordan

2003 408 Motoryacht T-Cummins 330's

Vessel Info
    2004 408 with 370 Cummins
    Thanks

Re: 408 cummins 330 port impeller replacement

A service manager for MarineMax told me, many years ago, the one of the MarineMax group actually had a little person on the payroll in southern FL. Makes sense to me. Access throughout the 408 engine room is very limited.

Vessel Info
    459- 2007 w/Cummins 380 diesels
    Thanks

David
    I have a 459 but have 380 cummins. I did both of my impellers last year. Yes it was easy to do the starbord and touch do the port. Just take the floor up and start. A small mirror helps and small tools (1/4" drive sockets). Funniest thing I found was a hammer. Could not get the pressure to push the impeller back into place, finally I got in front of the engines, took the hammer head in my right hand and put the end of the handle against the impeller and pulled. The length of the handle let me slide it along the engine to get pressure to push impeller back in. Sounds easy, right, not hardly but it did work for me.

Don't let anybody kid you, there isn't enough room to get anybody in than small area.

Good luck

Pat & Raelene Thrasher
    Dream Catcher
    2007 Meridian 459
    Cummins 380\'s

Vessel Info
    2001 Bayliner 5788
    Thanks

It is possible to replace the impellers on Cummins 330's (5.9BTA) without removing the raw water pump assembly. Access to the cover plate is clear, even though it's a squeeze to manipulate yourself around the port engine. It doesn't help if like me, you are right handed, which adds to the fun when you are compelled to get into the space either feet-first, or take the risk of trying to turn around once you are in there.

First - Turn off the water at the pickup valve - sounds elementary, but often forgotten in the heat of battle!

Once the flat cover plate is removed from the pump, the impeller can be removed with either a impeller puller, or levered out using screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. Be sure not to damage any machined surfaces, or lose the woodruff key from the shaft. Note the rotation direction of the old impeller, so that the new unit can be correctly oriented upon installation. Avoid re-using the gaskets and 'O' ring if possible.

Now, if you plan to remove the raw water pump on the 330B's, that's a whole different exercise!

Good Luck
    Rob
    M490 PH
    Merlin IV